Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Overall Silliness, or Finding That Grain of Truth

So we were supposed to write about what we thought was going on in this Triptych for art history, and of course I've heard a few different interpretations, but what's stuck with me most is just how much that last panel looks like Hollywood's outer space.  I found I could not write about this piece without mentioning the obvious, but what you must first realize is that last semester I wrote an interpretation of a cave painting involving UFO's, because I swear that's what they looked like.  She claims they are giant, people-sized baskets, but then, she also claimed there is no good interpretation of that scene.  So you tell me.

Point is, I found myself getting sadly derailed, and I wish I could paste an excerpt in here for you but it won't let me.  Which brings me to my next point of the day, computers.  Um, how long exactly have we had personal computers?  So remind me again why we haven't been able to stop them from just freezing up and doing things we don't want them to for no reason all the time?  Why do we just start putting them in everything, so now all of our appliances are up to no good without our consent.  My DVR is a VCR that is overanalyzing everything and creating problems for itself (and so for me.)  My friend's phone (iPhone!) FREEZES UP.  What?  Sorry I couldn't call you, my cell phone crashed.  Apparently Texas Instruments has little chips in all our car keys, which is brilliant, cuz calculators are a ship that's long sailed.

But all these little computers don't think like I think, so all this "thinking for me" that overwhelms them and makes them crash isn't very helpful at all.  Today I locked myself out of my car (I am always doing that) and did my keys think about how they could assist me with solving this problem?  No, of course not, they don't think.  So what I want to know is, what happens when the chip breaks?  Could I have my key, more or less intact, and it wouldn't start my car because a chip I didn't even know was in there broke?  So thanks a lot computers, you're super helpful.  Artificial Intelligence is only a step away.

All this to say, I do NOT understand what this lady has against space travel.  Where would we be without fire (which was given to us inadvertantly by the aliens that built the pyramids, who left some here, thank goodness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment